Win95 profiles on server (was Re: Automated installs (very long))

Gerald W. Carter jerry at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Oct 8 13:54:55 GMT 1997

Louis Mandelstam wrote:

> It would seem that the Win95 login routine doesn't start until after
> the preexec script has completed.  Presumed that the two processes
> would happen in parallel and that it was just a case of the server
> process being much quicker causing the .REG to be ready by the time
> the login script expects it.

Actually the login script starts and when the homes shared is mounted,
Samba runs the preexec script before allowing the client to mount the
share.

> Are my assumptions correct?
>
> If yes, the only locking problem I need to worry about is when the
> same username tries to log in at two client stations at the same time
> - it could be possible that the one instance's preexec process could
> trample on the other's.

I don't think this is a problem normally.  Unless you preexec cript
locks files and has a possible deadlock condition.

> Since I don't want this to happen at all anyway (multiple concurrent
> sessions for the same user) I'd like to ask for hints on preventing
> this.
[snip...]
> Note I'm not using the [homes] share - the above gives me the
> advantage of a fixed share name always being the current user's home
> directory, so I can hardcode applications to look for things there.

the [homes] share should work the same way.  You can either refer to
\\server\homes or \\server\username

> Ideally, I'd like an error message to come up when an
> already-logged-in user tries to login from another machine, and for
> the login process to abort back to the login dialog box.

Have to think about this one.

j-
                          Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )