utime and backing up files

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Oct 8 11:32:41 GMT 1997

dear mr erik (geek) riper,

i suspect that the problem you are seeing (file modified times) is the
same as that for the person who posted an msvc++ "file changed.  reload?"
problem (or was it a pre-compiled headers regeneration one?).

it might not be, given that there are two users involved.  i am aware,
for example, that if you log in as user "root" the user/group permissions
appear to be enforced, rather than over-ridden.  this is not normal for
root user access, and threw me a bit first time i got a "SMB file is read
only" message.

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Erik Van Riper wrote:

> I read in the Samba docs that there is a problem with "utime()" when
> a user updates another users file the modified time cannot be updated.
> According to the docs, even if it the file has write permissions set
> for the non-owner.
>
> When I attempt to do a test on a files that is mode 777, I create
> the file as one user, wait a minute, edit it again as another user,
> and it changes the modified time.  This is not using Samba, this is
> just opening two different XTerms as two different users.
>
> However, when a Win95 client writes a file over the top of another
> on a Samba share, if the user writing did not originally own the
> file, it will not have the correct modified time, therefore not
> backing it up as a changed file during the nightly incremental.
>
> We are using Samba in a production environment on an SGI Origin 2000.
>
> Has anyone else run into this problem, and what did you do to solve
> it?
>
> BTW, force user = is not a good fix in this case, we have many people
> working on many different (large) projects, and I do not want someone
> to accidently delete a tree that does not belong to them.
>

> --
> Erik Van Riper (EV34)                    Systems / Network Administrator
> Midway Home Entertainment Inc.                     San Diego, California
> (619) 658 9500 (x110)
> Go player.

          environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"              </b>