OPLOCKS....

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Oct 8 04:07:39 GMT 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Robert Dal Santo wrote:

> 	Hi, I have an application under Access that is running dead slow. I've
> done some testing and it appears that Access really likes to use OPLOCKS which
> of course Samba does not support.

> The application in questions takes around 5 hours to do a taks
> without OPLOCKS and around an hour to do the same task with OPLOCKS :(

I hear rumours that samba will one day support OPLOCKS.

However....

It sounds like you are using Access on a large/complex DB in native Access
format. You might get much better performance, as well as reliability and
stability by using an SQL database, but still use Access as the front end
if you must, using ODBC drivers.

Have a look, for instance, at MySQL, http://www.tcx.se (Australian mirror
at http://mysql.bluep.com/).

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301