Password changing on W95

George Cameron george at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
Wed Oct 8 00:42:59 GMT 1997

Samba version:	1.9.17p2
Server OS:	Solaris 2.5.1

I recently changed my config to use encrypted passwords (mainly
because we're now using a dedicated network file server in
addition to our Unix samba boxes, and the new box, which is also
dual NFS+SMB protocol, seems to require encrypted passwords).

Everything's been working fine and dandy.

I've just written an expect script so that our users can change
the two passwords simultaneously using a single command on Unix.

Problem:	I thought I'd enable the ability to change
passwords on the W95 machines via Samba, which would please our
PC-only users. Looks straightforward - define the password program
and password chat string & re-start. No joy.

Result:		W95 machine complains 'This request is not
supported by the network'. I checked my Makefile to see that
password changing was enabled, and even checked the object files
to be sure. I set logging to level 3 (since the source indicates
this should show up enough to see how far it gets), but I see none
of the expected messages in the log files.

Observation:	I do see the following in the log file, however:

switch message SMBtrans (pid 16320)
chdir to /usr/tmp
trans <\PIPE\LANMAN> data=532 params=22 setup=0
Got API command 214 of form <zsT> <B516B16> (tdscnt=532,tpscnt=22,mdrcnt=0,mprcn
t=4)
Unsupported API command
10/06/97 22:46:50 Transaction 4 of length 39
switch message SMBtdis (pid 16320)

Looking in ipc.c, I see that the SetUserPassword call uses command
115, so I wondered if the W95 machines are calling 214 instead
(perhaps because I'm using encryption) which could explain why it
doesn't work?

Questions:
	1.Is there something I've overlooked?
	2.Is anybody using 'change password' with W95 & encryption?
	3.Is my conjecture above anywhere near the mark?

Thanks,

George

George Cameron             g.cameron at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
Dept. BioMedical Physics
Aberdeen University
Foresterhill               Fax:       +44 (0)1224-685645
Aberdeen AB25 2ZD          Telephone: +44 (0)1224-663123 ext 53210
Scotland, UK