Automated installs (very long)

Louis Mandelstam lma at sacc.org.za
Tue Oct 7 18:00:25 GMT 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Jason Gerrity wrote:

> I would really love a peek at your 'magic boot disk'.  I'll show you mine
> if you show me yours :)  I would love to have a completely hands-free install.

The only thing it does that's anything nearly magical, is preparing the C:
partition so that Win95 will like it.   I detailed how that works in a
message I sent to samba-list last week, or possibly yesterday.

> We are currently using the SMC 8013 ISA nic, but we're rolling out the
> SMC9332BDT PCI nic also, which means that the drivers for both nic's need
> to be in the image that gets transfered down.

Well, I have some ideas on coping with that - I mentioned them to someone
this morning - I'll forward the message to you.

> Do either of you dual-boot?  We've created a pretty good dual-boot method
> here for Win95/DOS5.0

I've no need here, but I wouldn't expect it to be much more complex. (?)

> P.S. maybe we should hold a seperate conversation (e-mail) and then post
> our joint reccomendations to the mailing list.

I thought of dropping samba-list from my CC: in followups, but people are
joining the discussion every day, and we'd stop having that input if we
starting mailing in a closed circle.

Granted this is not precisely on-topic (in fact the setup could be running
from a Netware or NT server just as well) but I've had no complaints, only
encouragement (for the project as well as for discussing on samba-list).

The whole discussion will probably be over within a week so I don't see
much point in creating a special mailing list, either.

Regards

Louis Mandelstam              Tel +27 83 227-0712   Symphony  /|\   /|\
Linux systems integration     http://sr.co.za       Research {   } {   }
Johannesburg, South Africa    mailto:louis at sr.co.za (Pty)Ltd {___} {___}