Bug Report - smbclient can't see sometimes... III

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Tue Oct 7 16:05:13 GMT 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:37:16 +1000, you wrote:

>Hello Samba-aholics ;-)
>

>After that I can transfer the files from the share(s) I really need (C$
>and/or D$).
>
>I use SAMBA 1.9.16p11 running on a SGI under IRIX 6.2 and the problems
>arise with Win95 boxes. I still haven't experienced such a case with
>NT's.
>
>Any clue/ideas/help/comments on how could I execute a smbtar of C$
>and/or D$ without executing first smbtar of ADMIN$? Is this a bug or am
>I overseeing obvious things? :-/

Have you tried running smbtar on C$ even when it can't be seen in
smbclient -L. If I recall correctly when you run smbtar with a
sharename it will simply request \\server\share from smbclient which I
understand, and I may be wrong here, simply requests the share from
the windows machine, without first asking the windows machine for a
list of shares and checking if it's on. It is therefore reasonable to
assume that it might be possible that the windows machine simply isn't
listing the C$ share in it's "i've got these shares" lists until it's
been accessed in some way by the smbclient but it will still recognise
requests of "i want to access C$ on your machine" and reply with "yeah
sure here you go" instead of "what??? never heard of it, I don't have
anything of the sort here".

If that doesn't work you might want to try the following:
echo "\nquit\n" | smbclient \\\\server\\admin$ -U guest -N
before running your smbtar.