Bug Report - smbclient can't see sometimes... III

Martin Mielke martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Tue Oct 7 11:32:35 GMT 1997

Hello Samba-aholics ;-)

I apologize for posting this question for the third time now, but it's
becoming frustrating...

when I use smbclient -L $SERVER to see which shares are available in a
PC box I miss something sometimes. For example:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Sep 24 17:42:32 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        DOLORES        Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

PIVITA is a Win95 box.
I know for certain that there are almost two shares more called C$ and
D$. If I execute a smbtar -v -s pivita -x ADMIN$ -t
/usr/tmp/testfile.smbtar I
can actually transfer files from PIVITA and store them in
testfile.smbtar. If I let the smbtar command do its task to the end or
even if I interrupt the process and then I take a look at the shares on
the Win95 machine, I see:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Sep 24 17:42:32 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        C$             Disk
        D$             Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        DOLORES        Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

After that I can transfer the files from the share(s) I really need (C$
and/or D$).

I use SAMBA 1.9.16p11 running on a SGI under IRIX 6.2 and the problems
arise with Win95 boxes. I still haven't experienced such a case with
NT's.

Any clue/ideas/help/comments on how could I execute a smbtar of C$
and/or D$ without executing first smbtar of ADMIN$? Is this a bug or am
I overseeing obvious things? :-/

Thanks in advance and best regards,

M at rtin
--