Problem with MSVC++ 4.x precompiled headers w NT4.0sp2 and Samba

Laine Stump laine at MorningStar.Com
Mon Oct 6 21:38:10 GMT 1997

I'm using MSVC++ 4.x (works the same with 4.1 or 4.2) on NT 4.0sp2, and
having problems when my (quite large) project source is on a Samba drive
(NetBSD 1.2.1 w/Samba 1.9.17p2). The problem is that, when I put /Yx in
the compile options to "automatically generate precompiled headers",
MSVC++ recreates the header file for *every .cpp file*. This, or course,
makes the compile take forever to complete.

When I move the same project to a local disk, it works just fine
(creates the .pch file once, then reuses it for all the other files).

Has anyone seen this? Can you offer suggestions on how to fix it?

(Note - the problem is the same with 1.9.16xxx).