Point-and-print services with Samba

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Mon Oct 6 20:06:58 GMT 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 05:13:01 +1000, you wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Joerg Lenneis wrote:
>
>> Make all the printers available on the Samba server and make sure they
>> all have correct "printer driver = .." entries (these tell Windows
>> what printer driver to install automatically if that printer is accessed).
>
>When did we get a 'printer driver' directive!! I've not been paying
>attention, it seems.
>
>So, do I have to explicitly enter each queue in smb.conf in order to use
>the 'printer driver' directive? This would mean I would have to give up
>the ability to use 'auto services', and 'local printers= yes', AND that I
>would have to create a seperate smb.conf style printcap, and keep this
>version in sync with my /etc/printcap. That could be difficult to administer.
>
>I noticed in smb.conf.5 that the printcap is searched for aliases AND
>comments. Actually, it's written like this:
>
>'The fact that the second alias has a space in it gives a hint to Samba
>that it's a comment.'
>
>This leads me to believe that the 'comment' will be used as a comment for
>the share (provided one isn't already defined). If this is the case,
>wouldn't it be fairly simple to also use this string as the 'printer
>driver', thus allowing the 'auto services' and 'load printers = yes'
>directive to be used to provide browsing for all printers?

Wouldn't the windows clients then go a bit mad and start demanding
printer drivers that don't exist for people who don't have the exact
windows printer driver string in their printcap file? I can't say I've
tried printer driver = with an invalid printer driver name, but I
wouldn't imaging windows would be too pleased