NIS for Win95?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Oct 6 11:22:45 GMT 1997

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Elfredy V. Cadapan wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Elfredy V. Cadapan wrote:
>
> > > I recall someone on this list running an Internet cafe using samba
> > > servers...
>
> > me!  me!  (there's someone else, too.  check the digests.  he wanted a
> > "kickoff" time).
>
> Yes... I'm actually going to run a student lab, not a cafe, but the
> requirements are basically the same... I want a kickoff time too. (Am I
> getting too demanding? :)

from w95, yes: you're not going to get it, unless you write a small app
that communicates via a secure pipe to a server, and runs a reboot or
close/terminate API.

from NT: yes, you can get it.  later.

> > samba will do domain logins for w95, and has done so for about...
> > eighteen months, so you won't need NIS or Kerberos on the w95 machines:
> > just use samba.  on your samba system, you user database can be NIS or
> > Kerberos, but that's nothing to do with w95.
>
> I've only recently upgraded from 1.9.16p9 here, so I haven't played around
> with domain logons yet. Must investigate...
> The staff PCs have been running off samba happily for the past year or so,
> though I haven't tried authenticating off the samba server. (just mounting
> [homes] and such, share-level security).

i've only ever used user-level security.

> > > Are there any freeware (preferably) clients out there that do this?
>
> > i'd like to get people motivated to write one.  anyone interested in
> > helping out, financially?  you get a freely available SMB client, and you
> > get to help take control of CIFS development away from microsoft (they
> > currently own 95% of the clients, namely w95 and NT, and therefore totally
> > control CIFS development)
>
> :) I don't get paid for doing this, either... but maybe I can get one of
> my brighter students on this... (or do it myself when I get more time).
> I imagine something like this would be snapped up by the dozens of
> Internet cafes around here (most of whom use NT).

uh, it would get snapped up by a lot more people than other people think,
particularly if you have the source for the client _and_ the source for
the server: you can add your own APIs (e.g encrypted SMBs).  you could
fix the bugs yourself, instead of having to have microsoft deal with
multiple layers of backward-compatibility bugssorryfeatures.

> That's fine... here, they can't go anywhere else. ;)
> What I don't want are students (or non-students) who don't have legitimate
> accounts walking in and using the facilities...

oh, what like i did at the cambridge computer department?  went in with
100 floppies over a period of a few days, and came out at the end of the
week with slackware 3.1?  (great, that was: the slowest step was copying
to floppy).

          environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"              </b>