Microsoft Netw. over IP Masq. (clarification)

kevina at clark.net kevina at clark.net
Mon Oct 6 01:50:32 GMT 1997

(My email program messed up my outlines so I
thought I would we send it with everthing looking right.
Sorry.)

> > I have an interesting challenge, if anyone is willing to help me get
> > everything configured right I promise to make a Mini-HOWTO out of it.
> >
> > I am trying to use Samba to make Microsoft Networking work over IP
> > Masquerading in Linux.

> (Bunch of talk about hacking the ipfw code)

> Whoops! I just re-read your whole message and just realized you were
> talking about configuring Samba as a gateway. The easy way out this
> without touching

You kind of lost me in the previous paragraphs however I think
you are  making things really complicated considering as long
as windows 95 can get  the ip address of an external host it
can communicate with it just fine.   The biggest problem is
giving windows 95 the ip address of the external host.
The other problem is getting all the external hosts to appear
in a browse list.

I have been able to successfully make samba the local browse
master however it only displays the hosts in the hidden subnet
and the browse master (Mars).  I can also get to other hosts
from the windows 95 machine but only if the have a DNS entry
in the domain name server for the outside net.  I know I can
put ip address in the lmhosts.sam file but I would like a bit
more dramatic way of doing things because the status of
computers on this net is constantly changing.

Here is an outline of how the campus net and my network is set up.
--(The Internet)
--{Transparent Firewall, similar to IP Masq.}
--Campus Net (10.*.*.*)
--Browse Master (MARS), Other Computers all on a single subnet
--My Linux Machine (KEVINA)
--(IP Masq Firewall)
--Internal net (192.168.1.*)
--Linux machine as Gateway, Local Browse Master,
  IP Masq Firewall, you name in (192.168.1.1.)
--My Windows 95 Machine (KEVINA2, 192.168.1.2)

Here is an outline of how I think things should happen in order
for the Windows 95 machene to get a working browse list of the
Campus Net:
--KEVINA gets the browse list from MARS and makes its own browse
  list for the inter net
--KEVINA2 gets the browse list from KEVINA for the Network
  neighborhood

When KEVINA2 wants to get to a machine on the Campus Network:
--KEVINA2 turns to KEVINA (because it looks like a wins server)
  and asks it for the address of say "JOE'S COMPUTER"
--KEVINA gets the request and sends a broadcast message onto
  the campus net looking for the computer
--KEVINA gets the address and gives it two KEVINA2
--KEVINA2 is happy and can now get into JOE'S COMPUTER.

I hope this clears things up.

It should be noted that I do not care that other machines
outside of my hidden net can not get to the machines hiding
behind ip masq.