Win95 Username Prompt?

James Hughes jamesh at interpath.com
Mon Oct 6 04:30:25 GMT 1997

Simon Hyde wrote:

> one on the win95 machine :-)
>
> >> If none of this is really possible is there a way to force the Remember password checkbox to
> >> default to uncheckd and not checked, so that people's unix passwords aren't still saved once
> >> the machine has rebooted
> >
> >yes.  don't know what it is, though.  some registry setting.  check the
> >samba digest archives.
> >

> I have snooped around a little, but couldn't find much at first glance, does anyone want to
> help me out here and give me a hint as to what the key is or where I can find information
> about it?

You can disable password caching easily with the policy editor program
supplied on the Win 95 CD...

	/admin/apptools/poledit/poledit.exe

	...The template supplied (admin.adm)  has an entry to do what you want.
If all else fails, search for password (or maybe DisablePasswordCaching)
in the registry.

-James