Integrating Win95 and Samba in detail (was Re: Problems. Bugs?)

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Sun Oct 5 12:02:45 GMT 1997

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:27:27 +1000, you wrote:

>8. Automatic printer selection, per-workstation.  I expect I'll have to
>   set up a table on the server with printer name to use for each
>   workstation, and come up with a way to update the registry accordinly
>   at boot time.  To make it fun, not all the printers are the same - but
>   almost all understand PCL5.  I might be able to get rid of the rest if
>   I have to.

How about altering your printcap so that it lists as alternative names for
the printers the client machines, something like:
lp|smbclient-marvin|smbclient-zaphod|...
Make sure that the input filter for each printer will accept postscript and
therefore making the driver printer independent.
Then adding something like the following to your smb.conf:
[localprint]
   comment = Printer Allocated according to machine name
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writeable = no
   create mode = 0700
   printer name = smbclient-%m
   printer driver = Apple LaserWriter

This could be expanded further my doing something like [localmono] and
[localcolour] and smbcolour-%m, the colour one using a driver for a colour
postscript printer, etc.

This way you keep all the configuration in one place and don't have to play
around with the registry on pc bootup. It works for me anyway :-)