Microsoft Networking over IP Masquerading

kevina at clark.net kevina at clark.net
Fri Oct 3 23:08:01 GMT 1997

I have an interesting challenge, if anyone is willing to help me get
everything configured right I promise to make a Mini-HOWTO out of it.

I am trying to use Samba to make Microsoft Networking work over IP
Masquerading in Linux.

I have two machines, a Linux machine (with two Ethernet cards) and Windows
95 machine that is hiding behind IP Masquerading. I am connected to the
collage network in a dorm with a single network connection.  With how I
have things currently set up my Windows Machine can see my Linux box and
the browse master which is also the Main file server.  Nothing up comes up
in the network neighborhood however my Windows 95 can also find a few other
servers which I believe to also have DNS entries in the campus network.  I
also am unable to log into the domain master.

I am convinced that Samba can be used as a gateway so to speak to make
everything work properly but I don't know enough about Samba and Microsoft
Networking to know the exact in and outs.

I believe what will have to happen is that my Samba machine would have to
become a Local Browse Master for by own 2 computer internal network and
that it will also have to have to become a WINS server for JUST my internal
network.  Now what I don't know how to do is to configure Samba so that it
will properly get the full browse list form the Master Browser and function
as a WINS server for my Windows 95 machine so that it can find the other
computers.

As I said before I don't know all that much about Microsoft Networking so
my proposed solution is only a best guess at what needs to be done.  If
anybody has any better ideas I will be more than happy to hear them.

As I said before I promise to make a Mini-HOWTO out of it if anybody can
help me pull this off.

Please not that this is a large campus network (with over 200 computers all
on a single subnet) and becoming the Browse Master is NOT an option.

Thanks Again,
Kevin Atkinson

PS: Here is my Global section of smb.conf in case it will be helpful.

[global]
   netbios name = KEVINS-LINUX
   server string = Linux 2.0.30
   interfaces = 10.1.129.185/255.0.0.0 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = no
   guest account = nobody