NT4.0SP3 to SAMBA FIX!!!!!

Mark Jouzapaitis mark at maraj.com
Fri Oct 3 22:30:17 GMT 1997

I've spent over 4 hours to find an answer sifting through the archives
with no success.  Closest I came was a "DOMAIN.txt" article.  Well, I
tried to search Microsoft's knowledge base at the same time MS released
Internet Explorer v4.0!  I had to wait days to get access.  Well, here's
the answer to alot of good people's question:  "Why can't I connect NT4
to Samba anymore!?!?!?!  No gray areas, no witch hunts, no
jive........... just the answer.

-Mark

With Unencrypted Password SP3 Fails to
     Connect to SMB Server

     Last reviewed: September 10, 1997
     Article ID: Q166730

          Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0
          Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0

     SYMPTOMS

     After upgrading your Windows NT 4.0 computer to Service Pack 3
(SP3), you are unable to connect to SMB servers (such as Samba or
     Hewlett-Packard (HP) LM/X or LAN Manager for UNIX) with an
unencrypted (plain text) password.

     When attempting to connect after you upgrade to Windows NT 4.0
Service Pack 3, you receive the following error message:

        System error 1240 has occurred.

        The account is not authorized to login from this station.

     Connecting to SMB servers (such as Samba or Hewlett-Packard (HP)
LM/X or LAN Manager for UNIX) with an
     unencrypted (plain text) password fails after you upgrade to
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3.

     CAUSE

     This is because the SMB redirector in Service Pack 3 handles
unencrypted passwords differently than previous versions of Windows NT.
     Beginning with Service Pack 3, the SMB redirector does not send an
unencrypted password unless you add a registry entry to enable
     unencrypted passwords.

     RESOLUTION

     To enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords, modify the registry
in the following way:

     WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,
system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT.
     Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use
of the registry editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

        1.Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

        2.From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:

          \system\currentcontrolset\services\rdr\parameters

        3.Click Add Value on the Edit menu.

        4.Add the following:

                Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword
                Data Type: REG_DWORD
                Data: 1

        5.Click OK and then quit Registry Editor.

        6.Shut down and restart Windows NT.

     To enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords in an automated setup,
modify the registry in the following way:

     WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,
system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT.
     Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use
of the registry editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

     Add the following line to the Product.Add.Reg section of the
Update.inf file:

        HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters,
        "EnablePlainTextPassword", 0x10001, 1