Integrating Win95 and Samba in detail (was Re: Problems. Bugs?)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Oct 3 11:14:25 GMT 1997

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Louis Mandelstam wrote:

> My objective is to move all user-specific data into their home directories
> on the Samba server, so that a PC can be clean installed easily without me
> ever having to worry about the user loosing any of their data, as well as
> making it possible for users to roam between PCs, as well as share PCs.
>
> So far, I have managed to get:
>
> 1. A completely automated Win95+apps installation from the server, from a
>    boot diskette (for setting up new PCs or fixing completely hosed ones)

how??? how???

> 2. A completely automated install as above, but initiated by the server.
>    (for fixing less-than-completely hosed PCs, or upgrading the software
>     on them or making other changed on the hard drives)

ditto!!!

> 5. Netscape keeps their mail folders, bookmarks, addressbooks, cookies etc
>    all in a netscape\ subdirectory in the home directory.  This adds full
>    roaming to Netscape as well.  The cache is kept on C: however.

done this.

> 6. Corel Office 7, same as for Netscape.

not done this.

> 8. Automatic printer selection, per-workstation.  I expect I'll have to
>    set up a table on the server with printer name to use for each
>    workstation, and come up with a way to update the registry accordinly
>    at boot time.  To make it fun, not all the printers are the same - but
>    almost all understand PCL5.  I might be able to get rid of the rest if
>    I have to.

how?

> Anyone else working on something like this, interested in sharing notes?

yes!

> Anyone know of a list/web site/newsgroup that covers these issues?  The
> Win95 Resource Toolkit has offered very little help.

no.  perhaps one should be started!

regards,

luke

p.s the .signature below is open to review.  this is only my second .sig
    and i'd appreciate comments (e.g i hate web-style .sigs...)

          environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"              </b>