WINS problems - 1.9.17p1 and p2 (fwd)

Jim Watt jimw at pe-nelson.com
Wed Oct 1 21:14:19 GMT 1997

According to ivan at wadsworth.org:

|>I get the following message (and the PC's cannot browse the network - and
|>samba is compiled with DES support).
|>
|>WINS server did not respond to name registration!
|>
|>My smb.conf has:
|>
|>   status = yes
|>   security = user
|>   os level = 33
|>   workgroup = CMB
|>   encrypt passwords = yes
|>   preferred master = yes
|>   domain master = yes
|>   domain logons = yes
|>   logon script = %U.bat
|>   wins support = yes
|>   share modes  = yes

That's odd, since samba *is* the WINS server.  I'm seeing the same
errors here (in log.nmb at debuglevel 1), and samba is the WINS
server here also!  This is with Samba version 1.9.17p2.

Unfortunately the message occurs in two places in nameresp.c:
They're both inside a "switch (n->state)" in the function
dead_netbios_entry().  One is "case NAME_REGISTER", and the other
"case NAME_REGISTER_CHALLENGE".

Is there an identity crisis here? :-)

Jim
--
Jim Watt                               jimw at PE-Nelson.COM
Perkin-Elmer Corporation               Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228