Win95 Full System Backup to Samba box?

Arcadio A. Sincero Jr. asincero at erols.com
Tue Nov 25 00:53:59 GMT 1997

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 Wayne_Johnson at candle.com wrote:
> > hidden and system files) from the Win95 boxes to the 8mm tape drive on
> > the Linux box.
> > I know I could use smbmount to mount the Win95 drive, and then do a tar
> or
> > cpio backup, but I'm not nearly so sure about restoring that backup, if
> > necessary onto a fresh hard disk.
> > I do have a single-floppy network boot disk so I could bring the PC up
> and
> > connect it to the network using that floppy, but then how would I do the
> > restore process to get everything back with the same system/hidden/RO
> > attributes set?
> I do something similar with several UNIX systems (HP-UX, AIX, Solaris,
> SunOS and AT&T) and PC Systems (WinNT 3.51 & 4.0 and Win95).  I've been
> using rdump for the UNIX systems and smbtar for the PC's.
> How this will translate to a Win95 environment, I'm not sure.  Good luck.

	Something like this was talked about a while ago on the list.
A person on the list posted how he handles this.  He said he used a Linux
boot disk which (I assumes) mounts it's root via NFS.  He then ran FDISK
/MBR, then FORMAT C:/S inside a DOSEMU session.  This will write the DOS
MBR on to the harddrive, and position IO.SYS in the correct spot on the
harddrive.  He then unzipped (or untar'ed) a backed up copy of the Win95
station.

	I've tried this, and it seems to work rather well.  Although I
couldn't get the FDISK that came with Windows 95 to do "FDISK /MBR" inside
DOSEMU.  DOS 6's FDISK works fine tho.

Arcadio A. Sincero Jr. a.k.a The TicK -=LpC=-
Undergraduate Computer Science Major/Linux Enthusiast/Competitive Bodybuilder
WWW: http://www.coming.to.a.web.site.near.you.com
e-mail: asincero at erols.com

"Only lamers quote themselves in their .signatures."
                                - Arcadio A. Sincero Jr., 1997