smbclient server name resolution

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Mon Nov 24 15:35:24 GMT 1997

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> You know, this keeps coming up. Why are folks so scared of running
> secondary DNS servers? It is *exactly* for the reasons outlined herein that
> you'd want to have a secondary DNS, at least one, within every sub-net
> which is isolated by low-speed/high-cost connections. Even when the
> subnet-subnet connection is via LAN, each subnet should have a server
> running a secondary DNS, at the minimum.

I disagree. We have 30+ subnets in our building alone. It would be a
hassle to run a DNS on all of them.

People seem to forget that the resolver can be configured to use a static
database (/etc/hosts) before querying a name server. Perhaps your highly
used hosts should be in an /etc/hosts file? Or in Samba's LMHOSTS file...

                                [Darrin]

 "I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."
				- A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753