Couldn't set gid 0 currently set to--

Edan Idzerda edan at mtu.edu
Wed Nov 19 03:18:13 GMT 1997

I've been seeing this message A LOT on a SPARC 10 running
SunOS 4.1.3_U1 and 1.9.17p3.

Couldn't set gid 0 currently set to (188,188); uid/euid = 0/24076 errno = 1

Wiley readers will note the error message is more verbose
than "stock" because I wanted to see what the hell was going on.

It seems apparent that smbd is trying to change to group id 0
(group wheel) when it's effective uid is not 0, which means
it can't.  I've meant to look into it more, but I haven't had
time.  Does anyone, particularly the real Samba hackers, have
any clues on how to diagnose why I'm seeing this?

Thanks.

- edan

--
Edan Idzerda	<edan at mtu.edu>
System Administrator --  Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI USA