Permission Problems between Samba, NT and 95

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Nov 18 21:30:37 GMT 1997

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, John E. Jurgess wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are currently running samba version 1.9.17p2 on 4 Sun Solaris servers.  The
> problem we are having is that permission problems are not being followed across
> file systems.  The properties are owner nobody, group nobody.  We have to keep
> changing the properties.  Is there an easy fix to the problem?

dear john,

you have not sent in your smb.conf file, so i can only presume that you
may be using samba 1.9.17p2 in "security = share" mode (the default);
"guest ok = yes" (the default) and "guest account = nobody" (the default).

this will result in files being created under the guest account (nobody).

you might want to have a look at the "security = user" mode.  if this
turns out not to be the issue, please send either myself or the list your
smb.conf file (change any ip addresses in it first) and we'll be able to
comment further.

best regards,

luke