Home directories using UNIX/SMB

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Mon Nov 17 13:44:42 GMT 1997

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > You will have to specify \\sambaserver\homes in the NT user profile as
> > the home directory.
>
> ah, this is the right approach, but will throw up a slight difficulty.
>
> when a user logs in, no connection is established under the user's
> account, because the user has not been verified.  a connection is made
> under the _machine_ account: a "Workstation Trust Account", i believe it
> is called.

I'm not sure I follow you.  I know that using NISgina for validation I
can specify a non encrypted samba server as the [homes] server and it
passes the username and passwd through ( I am assuming this.  I haven't
done a packet dump, but it does not prompt for a password if it is the
home directory of the user ).

I know of others that have got roaming profiles to work this I am fairly
sure.  Just that the samba server must have 'encrypt password = yes'
set.

> unfortunately, once this connection is made, it is maintained
> continuously until the machine is switched off.  no users are involved,
> therefore the [homes] %U substitution doesn't work.

Now I am lost.  Are we talking about raoming profiles or just mounting
specifying the user's home directory which is stored on a samba server?

> the NT workstations _still_ try and read the profile using this machine
> account, and fail to do so, because it only exists once the _user_ is
> connected...

                          Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )