Authentication problems

Leah McKelvie leah at milken-inst.org
Fri Nov 14 00:49:06 GMT 1997

I am having a problem similar to the one that Jason Gerrity is having
with authentication.  Sometimes people are unable to access drives on
one of our unix servers from an NT machine.  They are prompted for their
password and when they enter it they get the message "Incorrect password
or unknown username."  These are people that have permissions on unix
and can usually access these drives from NT. It usually happens after I
reboot the server, and sometimes corrects itself when I reboot again. I
don't know if this could be related or not, but it never happens when
people try to accees drives on the server we have NIS+ on, but it
happens to people trying to access drives on our second server.  There
is a group of people that it sometimes happens to, and some people that
it never happens to.  I can't see any real pattern except that it seems
to be related to rebooting the server.  We are running Solaris 2.5.1 and
Windows NT 4.0.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?