SAMBA printing

kunwar.asif kunwar.asif at cressoft.com.pk
Wed Nov 12 18:54:44 GMT 1997

     Dear Sir

     Thanks for reading this. Hope you will help me.
     I am using samba 1.9.17p2 on SunSparc-20 running solaris2.5.1 for
     printing and file sharing with PC-network. File sharing is working
     fine but I want to print to a WfWg printer from Solaris. So I have
     used script smbprint.sysv and try to print. But I am facing
     following problems:

     1- I can only do command line printing e.g lp <file name>
     2- I can't print from Xwindows and following message appears on
     screen: " NO print filter defined..."
     3- There is no word wraping and long lines are truncated.
     4- How can I define filter according to my needs and how can i
     attach it with my samba printer?

     4- I have installed TCP32b on WFWG print server.

     I am trying to print from unix to WFWG from last couple of weeks but
     could not succeeded. Now i become furstrate and need your help to
     overcome this problem.

      Waiting to hear from you.

     Thanks

     Kunwar Asif Masood
     CresSoft
     -
     Following is the script which I am using.

     !/bin/sh

     shift;shift;shift;shift;shift
     # now the argument list is just the files to print
     server=Ps1
     service="HP LASERJET"
     password=""
     CRLFSTR="\033&k2G"
     FFEED="\014"

     (# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want
     automatic
     # CR/LF translation when printing.
            echo translate
            echo "print -"
            echo $CRLFSTR
            cat $*
            echo $FFEED
     ) | /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password
     -N -P -I a.b.c.d > /dev/null
     exit $?

     My etc/printcap file

     lp:\
     :cm=HP LASERJET on Print server in basement:\
     :lp=/dev/null:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
     :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
     :mx=0:\