NT profiles on unix server

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Nov 11 18:47:11 GMT 1997

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 dverlezz at tiaa-cref.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are attempting to place our NT4.0 profiles on a unix (Solaris 2.5.1) samba
> server.  When we try to access the profiles, we get the  NT error "Slow Network Connection Detected...".  After clicking "Download", the profile loads with no
> problem.
>
> Has anyone come across this behavior?

yes, i have.

it's an auto-detection mechanism built into NT.  because samba
reconfigures itself at the initial connection, the NT box thinks it's
talking to a slow SMB server, and tells you so.

samba is doing a reload of the smb.conf files (and reconfiguring itself)
right at the time when nt is deciding what kind of SMB server it's
talking to :-)

there _may_ be some way in the samba->nt interaction to stop this.
equally, there may be a registry setting to stop nt detecting this.

i know it's annoying (i get the same warning on a pentium 133, 32mb ram,
with *one* user!) and yes, it needs fixing.

luke