General Inquiry

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Wed Nov 5 21:32:55 GMT 1997

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:03:26 +1100, you wrote:

>All,
>
>I have a rather trivial inquiry which may have been answered previously but
>I do not recall seeing a response to it in any of the digests.
>
>I admin a small network including several RS6000 machines running AIX 4.2
>and a number of Win95 R2 machines. I am currently using Samba 1.9.17p4 with
>no problems whatsoever.
>
>I have recently acquired a 9gig external scsi drive which I have hanging
>off one of the PC's. I was wondering if there is any way to use samba (or
>otherwise) to map this drive onto the Samba server (RS6000 machine). The
>extra disk space would come in handy. Are there any problems in using an
>external scsi in this way ?

As far as I am aware the mounting of an SMB server's drives has not been
achieved on anything but Linux and NEXT. You may, however, wish to look at
using a freeware NFSD on your 95 machine, such as the one available at
http://www.jgaa.com (I have yet to try this out myself, but it looks
promising).

>As a secondary topic did anyone respond to the question posed last week
>regarding ascii / binary file conversion on samba mounted filesystems. I
>quite often need to drop text files to and from my unix boxes and have not
>found a way to make them transfer as ascii correctly. Currently I resort to
>using an ftp program from my PC side to do the job but it would be nice to
>be able to drag and drop.

There is currently no way to do this directly through samba, however there
are a few windows programs kicking around which will accept files from drag
and drop (or some similare method) and then do the crlf <-> lf conversion,
so you could convert the file before moving it onto the samba server or
after simply by dropping it into this program. I believe someone pointed
you to just such a program, take a dig around in the digests at
http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/ and find your original message and replies
to it.