Controlling access to software

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Wed Nov 5 21:18:55 GMT 1997

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 01:35:41 +1100, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Due to the fact that we have to purchase machine licenses rather than site
>licenses for Microsoft Office 97 we need to be able to limit which machine
>can run it from Win95 though samba. Any way to place restrictions on
>individual peices of software rather than having to ban machines from the
>entire samba program areas?
>
>regards
>Ben

Not without creating a seperate share for each aplication. However if each
aplication is in it's own directory at the moment then you could create a
simple script to generate the apropriate list of shares from a directory
listing which you run when you install new software. You could even have an
alias for your server (say 'apps') from which these shares are visible by
using the 'netbios aliases=' and 'config file =/path/to/smb.conf.%L'
parameters in your smb.conf. Host access can be restricted to specific
shares using the 'allow hosts=' parameter.