PAM question

Peter H. Lemieux phl at cyways.com
Wed Nov 5 15:19:32 GMT 1997

> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 17:14:44 -1000
> From: paquet at seac.pf
> Subject: PAM question
>
> I have samba-1.9.17p4 running on a 2.0.31 Linux box with PAM (based on
> the RedHat 4.2 distrib). Everything is OK except that all of the smbd
> processes belong to root. I am used to samba on AIX (for along time)
> where all smbd's belong to their respective pc user.
>
> my syslog is filled up with :
>
> Nov  3 07:03:21 lyloo PAM_pwdb[2544]: 1 authentication failure; (uid=0) -> user for samba service

Did you enable PAM support in the Makefile when you compiled samba?  That
works fine on my RH 4.2 system.

If you did, and it didn't work, try using the stock RedHat samba RPM that
comes with the 4.2 distribution.

Can users log into the server with telnet or ftp?  If not, you have a more
severe PAM problem!

Peter

-----

Peter H. Lemieux, President                             mailto:phl at cyways.com
cyways, inc.                                            http://www.cyways.com
203 Arlington Street                                    Voice: (800) 5-cyways
Watertown, Massachusetts 02172-2036 USA                     +1 (617) 924-7991