Samba disappears from Net. Neighbourhood!?

Dieter Rothacker Didi at ThePentagon.com
Wed Nov 5 02:33:07 GMT 1997

Jeff Newton wrote:

> I'm running 1.9.17p2 on a Sparc machine.  I have an NT server on the same
> subnet that is acting as the master browser.
>
> Every so often I notice that my Samba machine disappears from Network
> Neighbourhood.  Samba continues to run and I can access it but the
> browse capability is getting lost somewhere.
>
> Anyone experienced this?  Any idea how to debug this?
>
> Here is my smb.conf:
<snip>
>    local master =no
>    domain master = no
<snip>

Hi !

I already reported this to samba-bugs. It is caused by the settings of
your smb.conf I have quoted above. Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
promised to look after it. The problem is that he has to figure out how
exactly a non-local-master samba machine should behave to get the
registering at the domain master correctly.
And he seems to leave his experimental NT domain only to get himself
some food... :-))

I think you could try to get access to the NT server, and then use
"netmon" (I think that was the name ?) to see how and when other
samba machines (preferrably Windows) register their names compared
to your Sparc.

My "workaround" at the moment is to simply kill the nmbd, and start
it again.
--
Dieter Rothacker