Problems configuring samba as a WINS server

Tom Schutter tom at platte.com
Tue Nov 4 21:09:35 GMT 1997

I am having problems configuring samba 1.9.17p1 as a WINS server.

I have added "wins support = yes" to the [global] section of my smb.conf file.
I have not set "wins server" in my smb.conf file.

But my nmbd log file (which is now 4Mb) keeps reporting:
reply_netbios_packet: r_a not to be used when not a WINS server

which seems to indicate that WINS support has not been enabled.

What can I do?

I have read NetBIOS.txt, BROWSING.txt, etc.
Samba is running on an OSF1 V4.0 alpha machine.

Some relavant output from testparm:
	server string: Samba 1.9.17p1
	workgroup: WORKGROUP
	domain controller: