Problem with automounted drives

Volker Kuehnel vk at medi.physik.uni-oldenburg.de
Mon Nov 3 10:31:59 GMT 1997

Hi folks,

since there was no awnser to my previos question, I just try it again:
In our group we're working with samba on a SunOS 4.1.3 workstation and
about 30 wfwg and win95 clients for several time without any trouble
(samba-1.9.16p6 release). Now i've installed version 1.9.17p2 and got the
following problem:
I can't reach directories on an automounted volume on the Server which is
not currently mounted on the unix-machine by changing directory to that
drive on the client (eg. cd \vol\bla\bla in a DOS-box)
With our former version of samba this worked fine, you only had to know the
name of the automounted volume. What may be the cause of this behaviour? Is
there an option that I may have missed?
I'll appreciate your help!

Volker

Included is our smb.conf:

;----------------------------------------
[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
   load printers = no
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
   dead time = 15
   short preserve case = yes
   preserve case = yes
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   locking = yes
   share modes = yes
   security = share
   wins server = aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
   password level = 3
   revalidate = true
   workgroup = ourgroup

allow hosts = @pc localhost
valid users = @ourgroup
dont descend = /dev
auto services = homes vol
smbrun = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbrun
;-------------------------------------------------------------
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   guest ok =  no
   read only = no

; here is the automouted /vol -path
[vol]
comment = /vol/...
path = /vol
  guest ok =  no
   read only = no
  writable = yes

Volker Kuehnel PhD
University Oldenburg, Physics Department
Research Group Medical Physics (AG MEDI)
D-26111 Oldenburg, Germany
email: vk at medi.physik.uni-oldenburg.de
Phone: +49 (441) 798 3566
FAX:   +49 (441) 798 3698