CDROM on SAMBA/Linux

John D. Hays jhays at Hays.ORG
Wed Jul 30 16:57:35 GMT 1997

A related question: I would like to build a CD-Rom server based on Samba where it is possible to swap CDs without mounting them by hand. The volume label should appear automatically in Windows. Is this possible ?

-Erwin

[John D. Hays - Writes]

Erwin,

I do this on my system.  I have two each 7-disk changers on my Linux box (attached using SCSI) with the appropriate driver configuration.  All 14 CDs
are mounted under the Linux filesystem as sub-directories under a
root level directory named /cd-farm (i.e. /cd-farm/x) --- with this configuration
the filesystem takes care of loading a CD when it is referenced through the
filesystem.   SAMBA is configured so that each CD is offered as a share,
and I also export /cd-farm as a share.  These show up under windows
browsing and I can mount them as disks or just treat them as resources
under a node (i.e. \\linux\x) ...  It all works great.  I have 3 WinDoze'95
boxes on the home ethernet and they can all access the 14 CDs.

John D. Hays
jhays at Hays.Org
http://www.hays.org/~jhays
K7VE and VK3FHK