Monitoring/controlling the print spool

Yuval Shohet yuvals at waveaccess.com
Tue Jul 29 12:18:04 GMT 1997

I crossed few similar questions in the digest and the news group, however I
didn't cross the solution. I set a Linux Slackware as a samba server
(16p11) with HP LJ attached to its parallel port. The server takes care of
the print jobs too well; The server spool simply swallows print jobs. What
should be the set up to let an MS user (95/wfw) monitor ("lpq") and control
("lprm") his print job from his native tools (w/o telnet).
Here is my stanza for the printer and the entry in printcap:
smb.conf:
[HP-LJ4]
  comment = HP LaserJet 4/4M PostScript
  browsable = yes
   available = yes
   public = no
   force user = root
   printer name = lj4m
   print command = echo printing %s >> /tmp/print.log; /usr/bin/lpr -P%p
%f; rm %f
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq %p
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
   printable = yes
   path = /tmp
   create mode = 0700

Printcap:
lp|lj4m|HP-LaserJet 4/4M PostScript:\
          :lp=/dev/lp1:\
          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj4m:\
          :if=/var/spool/lpd/lj4m/ljet4m-filter:\
          :mx#0:\
          :sh:
I will appreciate any reply with a solution.

Thanks,
	Yuval Shohet
	Yuvals at waveaccess.com

Yuval Shohet
Tel: 508 653-3646               WaveAccess
Fax: 508 653-3306               One Apple Hill, Suite 203
yuvals at waveaccess.com           Natick, MA 01760