Win95 browse trouble, other user logins

Michael Ballbach ballbach at lorien.ml.org
Mon Jul 28 19:46:47 GMT 1997

I've seen this problem mentioned before on the list, but I've never seen
an answer.... I'm running samba on a pc running linux 2.0.30, 32 meg ram.
(pentium 133) I start smbd out of inetd.conf:

netbios-ns  dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -l/var/adm/smblogs/log -s/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

Anyway, the problem is that most of the time, the win95 machine will not
browse the samba server, it appears to happen at random, with about 95% of
the attempts resulting in failure. I'm already using the samba server as
the WINS server for the win95 machines. I wonder if starting smbd out of
inetd is too slow? I doubt it though, because I seem to remember starting
it manually, and it had no affect.

Also, this server is in a school, and we like to keep the machines logged
in as a single user, because of a couple of shares, and the printers we
have, that we want to keep in common with the rest of the machines. For
instance, we have a "student files" directory on the samba server that's
shared between all the macs, and the pcs, and all of our printers are
shared too. Most of our students don't have the knowledge or experience to
log in as themselves, mount the shares, and deal with potential problems
which might arise, it seems much easier to just keep the machines logged
in as the standard user, and if someone wants to mount thier personal
share, they can... So, to get to the point, is there anyway to have
windows 95 pass a different user name???

Thanks for the help, and please respond in person... Thanks!!

Michael A. Ballbach: N0ZTQ, yeh-zehn.
	ballbach at lorien.ml.org    <--- PGP Key Here. (finger)
	mikeb at vr1.com
        http://lorien.ml.org/~ballbach/index.html

"I don't know how world war three will be fought, but world war four will
	be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein.