Ultrix mmap man page

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Mon Jul 21 17:11:55 GMT 1997

Oisin, Dave,

	Thanks both for sending me the mmap page from
Ultrix. The problem I see is the following paragraph :

>  The mmap system call maps the memory of a character device (fd)

It's the "character device (fd)" that's the problem.
Reading this it appears that Ultrix doesn't have the
ability to mmap a file descriptor from a arbitary file
in the filesystem. For the moment it seems that the
only solution on Ultrix is to remove the -DFAST_SHARE_MODES
from the Samba compile and use the file based share mode
code. Does Ultrix support system V shared memory. Andrew
& I have discussed modifying the mmap code in Samba to
also use system V shared memory if that is available, it
won't happen soon though.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison.
	Samba Team.