TCP_NODELAY at the cafe.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Sat Jul 19 12:51:12 GMT 1997

dear samba digest,

i use samba at the cafe, and i just wanted to let you know that we're
happy with it.  hell, i might even fill in a samba survey entry.

printing to an HP LJ 4L is fine, and we keep all the applications on a
single share, so that we can reinstall the windows 95 machines if they get
heavily cluttered / messed about by customers downloading software.
mandatory profiles are really useful for this, because we only use one
account for all the users, at the moment.

the one complaint that we had was the speed of loading applications.
netscape gold took _two minutes_ to load from the server (a 486dx2 66,
with 8mb ram).  so, i figured, why not try socket options = TCP_NODELAY.
and it now takes twenty seconds to load netscape!

most excellent.

anyway, i just wanted to say thank you to the samba developers for a
great product.

regards,

luke