Samba, FreeBSD, Win95 and me

Willem van den Bosch willem at ozartnet.com.au
Wed Jul 16 04:23:22 GMT 1997

Hi,

I have 2 machines set up, one with Win95 the other FreeBSD running smbd and
nmbd.
Allthought I can gain access from the Win95 box to the the shares defined
in smb.conf file on the FreeBSD box, I can only do so if 'valid users =
root', any other username will get access denied error messages.

Using the username map directive makes no difference to the problem.
I suspect the output of the command 'smbclient -L genesis' (the Win95 box)
might hold the key to the problem but if it does how do I fix it.

Server=[GENESIS] User=[] Workgroup=[WILLEM'S WEB] Domain=[WILLEM'S WEB]
                      ^^no username

	Sharename      Type      Comment
	---------      ----      -------
	H              Disk      SyQuest Drive
	IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication

extract from smb.conf:
[Willem]
   comment = Willem's home directory
   path = /home/willem
   valid users = root	#would like this to be 'willem'
   map archive = no
   preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no
   read only = no