How to write a printcap entry for remote printer

Celso Kopp Webber celsinho at inf.ufsc.br
Tue Jul 15 18:01:49 GMT 1997

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Chuck Bearden wrote:

> I am sharing some printers attached to Win95 boxes, and would like to be
> able to do more than connect from Linux with smbclient and print via
> translate.  I would like to be able to specify a printcap entry for these
> so as to be able to print from pine or lynx or Netscape (when I get X
> running here at work).

	Dear Chuck, I've recently installed RedHat Linux 4.2 (Biltmore) in
my server, and it does exactly what you want out of the box!!!! This is an
extension to the very good printtool utility that comes with every RedHat
distribution. If don't like RedHat or do not have Linux, I suggest
installing one to see how it works, and than copy and if necessary adapt
the scripts. There isn't any binary, so you could easily use them in any
Unix system.

	Hope this helps!

	Celso.

Stolen from an Internet user:
"f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng !"

| Celso Kopp Webber                                  |
| e-mail: celsinho at inf.ufsc.br                       |
| Federal University of Santa Catarina               |
| Florianopolis-SC         Brazil                    |