SAMBA DIGEST PROBLEM: Re: Message not deliverable (Forward Msg)

Rafi Sadowsky rafi at tavor.openu.ac.il
Sun Dec 28 12:47:14 GMT 1997

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

> > > rask, it _is_ fixed.  the problem is not the mailing list, it's the broken
> > > software at the recipient's end which ignores the Errors-to: and all those
> >
> > How can you expect mail software to magically guess the intention of
> > non-standard headers that you make up yourself? You'd be just as well off
> > with something like
>
> i haven't read the respective rfcs, but i understand that there is a
> convention (Errors-to: or something) which broken (old, badly written)
> email server software is unaware of.
>
> samba, as a standard list server, complies with these conventions.
>
> luke

Luke
sorry but "Errors-To:" is the old convention that is used by your listserv
it dates back to when UUCP was the predominant tranport & the was no SMTP
envelope
these days it should be considered Old/Broken/Informational/whatever
but the bounce should go to the envelope adress - this is why when a list
has an owner- alsias sendmail 8 rewrites it with the owner- as envelope
sender
(sendmail 5 didn't & that is broken/old )

Hope this helps

	Rafi

Rafi Sadowsky                                   rafi at oumail.openu.ac.il
Network/System/Security  VoiceMail: +972-3-646-0592   FAX: +972-3-646-5410
       Mangler ( :-)      |    member  ILAN-CERT(CERT-L at VM.TAU.AC.IL)
Open University of Israel |   (PGP key -> )  http://telem.openu.ac.il/~rafi