Massive Problems with Samba

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Sat Dec 27 20:08:23 GMT 1997

Chuck Carson wrote:

> I get errors such as, "Netowork is busy" or "Cannot find computer of
> sharename".

We have been running SAMBA 1.9.17 and 1.9.18 with AIX 4.1.4,
AIX 4.1.5, AIX 4.2.1 servers for half a year with no such problems.
Have you tried out Windows 95 PCs with more recent updates, such as
Service Pack 1 or OSR2 ?  We don't use any LMHOSTS files on the
PC, just browsing with a SAMBA WINS server, maybe that's why it
works for us ?

> To add to my aggravation, I downloaded the latest version to install (19pl5
> I believe) and get the following error when trying to compile:
>
> Using CFLAGS
> = -O -DSMBLOGFILE="/usr/local/samba/var/log.smb" -DNMBLOGFILE="/usr/local/sa
> mba/var/log.nmb" -DCONFIGFILE="/usr/local/
> Using LIBS =
> Compiling server.c
> 1506-333 (S) License failure: acquire: No servers available for this vendor
> (network license server/library).
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>
> Stop.

Your AIX box isn't licensed to run the AIX C compiler.  You better
fix that, or use GCC.  We have used the latest AIX C compiler,
xlC version 3.1.4.7, also using the -O flag, and we have no problems
compiling at all.

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen
Technical University of Denmark