Problems with passwords on Windows...

William Peloquin peloquinwg at rapistan.com
Tue Dec 23 17:46:43 GMT 1997

Hello,

I am having a problem getting SAMBA to run on a QNX system, (I grabbed the binaries
directly from QNX), with a Windows 95 Client. The Windows boxes normally run on a
Novell network. If I set security to SHARE, I am able to get into my /tmp directory.
If security is USER, I cannot get to /tmp. I am unable to get to my home directories
in either case. I have no problem accessing any directories when using smbclient on
QNX.

I have read about Windows sending all uppercase passwords, and I thought that the
"password level = 20" would take care of that. Guess it must be something else. I also
saw a mention that Windows will send over an encrypted password. I don't know how
to handle that issue.

It seems like a password issue to me. I think I set everything up correctly. I am
attaching some config and log files... This really should be a FAQ based on the
number of "kinda similar" problems I am finding by searching the digests. I guess when
I get it to work, I'll write a damn web page devoted to it!

TIA

Willie Peloquin
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.ismi.net/~wpeloqui

This is my alias map to get rid of the Novell login names....
wpeloqui = PELOQUWG
mdoane = DOANEMR

This is my smb.conf file:
workgroup = CONTROLS_DEV

[global]
    username map = /etc/NovellAliasMap
    security = USER
    password level = 20
    preserve case = yes
    mangle case = yes
    guest account = pcguest
    debuglevel = 3
    log file = /usr/adm/smblog.%m
    printable = no
    load printers = no

[homes]
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
    create mode = 0750

[tmp]
    browseable = yes
    path = /tmp
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    read only = no

This is a chunk of the smblog
823.843:  Transaction 30 of length 74
switch message SMBtconX (pid 2990)
valid uid 9061 mapped to vuid 0 (user=wpeloqui)
823.85:  invalid username/password for wpeloqui
823.851:  error packet at line 129 cmd=117 (SMBtconX) eclass=2 ecode=2
TIME SMBtconX  548914 usecs   58.1568 pct
823.857:  Transaction 31 of length 74
switch message SMBtconX (pid 2990)
valid uid 9061 mapped to vuid 0 (user=wpeloqui)
823.864:  invalid username/password for wpeloqui
823.865:  error packet at line 129 cmd=117 (SMBtconX) eclass=2 ecode=2
TIME SMBtconX  556912 usecs   58.5084 pct