homedir map and nis homedir

Gregory M. Paris paris at bose.com
Fri Dec 19 21:02:24 GMT 1997

I'd like to have our NT folk get access to UNIX files without having
to know which server their homedirs are on.  Unfortunately, what
I'm running into is the SMB<->NFS situation, where the samba server
specified gets the data from another machine via NFS.  That's not
what I want.  The smb.conf man page seems to indicate that this can
be avoided by using the "homedir map", and "nis homedir" settings
and running a samba server on the servers that have the filesystems.
I've compiled with -DAUTOMOUNT -DNETGROUP and -lrpcsvc (my servers
are Solaris 2.5.1 machines) but I don't get the desired result; the
files can be accessed, but the unwanted NFS hop kills performance.

I'm in search of a clue.  Can someone please help?  Thanks!

Greg
--
Gregory M. Paris
Senior Systems Administrator
Bose Corporation                               Email: paris at bose.com
The Mountain, MS#258
Framingham, MA  01701-9168

Bose Corporation                               Email: paris at bose.com
The Mountain, MS#258                           Phone: +1 508 766-4072
Framingham, MA  01701-9168                     FAX:   +1 508 820-0173