Slow directory listings of our user directories

Rob Butterworth robert at harlequin.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 15:50:43 GMT 1997

When our users want to browse the home directories on our main server
(published as 'Users') it takes several minutes to create the directory
listing.  We suspect this is because samba is doing a stat on every
directory, many of which are links to nfs mounted filesystems.  netatalk
does exactly the same thing, which is worse on a Mac because at least on
the PC you can type the UNC path into the Run menu and circumvent the browser.

I would have thought this was a FAQ, but has anyone got any ideas ?

Rob
--
Rob Butterworth (robert)
UK Systems Manager