WINS capabilities

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Dec 8 16:47:06 GMT 1997

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Scott H. Baxter wrote:

> I have set up SAMBA on AIX 4.2 and can attach to NT shares and vice versa.  I
> acquired and configured SAMBA for basically one reason, that being to gain
> WINS client capabilities for AIX.  Right now it's not working as expected,
> though.

hi scott,

we use gethostbyname(), which is wrapped by "dns proxy = yes/no" in the
samba WINS server code.  it sounds like you want something similar, but
just using a different system, if the name isn't in the WINS database.

don't forget that gethostbyname() isn't just DNS: it's _whatever_ system
is behind it, the configuration order of which is controlled (usually) by
/etc/resolv.conf.  so, behind gethostbyname() there may be NIS, NIS+,
/etc/hosts, LDAP: whatever.

luke