Configuring printer drivers

Peter Blake ppb at baloo.tcp.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 10:13:05 GMT 1997

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Sean Murphy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running a samba server for our small group of users (about 15) for
> approx the last 18 months with great success. We use the server for both file
> and printer sharing.
>
> I had to make some modifications to the printer configuration today, and I've
> got a quick question which arose from my tinkering.
>
> I wanted to configure the server such that each of our printers can be used
> with either postscript or the native driver. Hence, I set up two 'printers' on
> samba for each actual printer - one with the "printer driver" parameter set to
> the native printer driver, and the other with the "printer driver" parameter
> set to the postscript driver.
>
> When I tried to install one of the new printers on a client (Win NT),
> windows NT informed me that it could not find the driver on the server
> (presumably the samba server), and was checking it's the set of printer drivers
> stored locally. This gave me the impression that the printer drivers can be
> stored on the server in a place in which the SMB client will automatically
> look, and, if found, automatically use as the printer driver. Is this correct?
> If so, where should I store the printer drivers?
>
> I'm running samba v1.9.17p4 on Solaris 2.5 with a mixture of win95 and winNT
> clients if it matters.

Hi,

I have found it best to use a raw "pass-through" mode for the unix print
filter when printing from NT[45], W95 and WFWG3.11.

The only exception occurs is when the printer does not support postscript
- you have to detect the PS header and use the unix-resident utilities to
convert the file to PCL5, or whatever.

Known to work for the last three years or so.

Regards,

---
Peter Blake
ppb at hft.co.uk