Workgroup popups with samba

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Mon Dec 1 09:48:46 GMT 1997

uOn Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Gerben 'Xylo' Castel wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I'd like to know if there's a way to receive Workgroup's winpopup messages
> > with samba under linux.
> > If it's impossible, what are the technical problems caused by such a request ?
> >
> > Thank you
>
> yes, i see no reason why you shouldn't process such messages.  have a
> look in client.c::send_message() and see if smbd (reply.c) already deals
> with these messages.  if not, then you should be able to copy some code
> in reply.c and decode the SMBs that send_message() sends.

It would be nice, if SAMBA provided a way to forward such a message to a
specified program. Something like

  message program = /usr/local/bin/smbmsg -U %U

or like.

It would give a way to "write" to Unix admin e.g., or forward Virus alert
as mail etc ...

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk at sni.de