Updating smb.conf without restarting samba

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Aug 30 12:54:29 GMT 1997

load_interfaces() - a call to read in the "interfaces = " line, or to
auto-detect local interfaces.

there is no reload_interfaces() call.  load_interfaces() is a one-off.
therefore, if you change your interfaces (as happens at imperial college:
they have a system where a number of machines distribute the routing
load) then you must kill nmbd.

plus, we don't have a re-initialise mechanism for the workgroup / server
structures.  well, that's not true - samba will respond to the browser
reset message, although i've never tested it.

luke