Printing question...

Quinn P. Coldiron qsamba at up-intrepid.unl.edu
Fri Aug 29 21:28:20 GMT 1997

I am having problems printing from Win95 and WinNT 4.0.  I have everything
else running fine.  I have noticed that the print jobs do end up on the
Linux server, they just never get printed.  I can manually print them with
lpr.  I have included part of my smb.conf and princap for review.  After
reading the man pages, FAQ and HOWTO, I added these lines to the smb.conf
file in the global section:

; Printer configuration
   printing = bsd
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

I don't know if I need them all, but they haven't helped.

Included samples:

Part of my smb.conf:

; Printer configuration
   printing = bsd
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

; *******************************************************************
; ********************** Network printer shares *********************
; *******************************************************************

[Technology]
   comment = Technology printer
   path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
   public = yes
   writeable = yes
   printable = yes

[Marketing2]
   comment = Marketing printer 2
   path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
   public = yes
   writeable = yes
   printable = yes

And my printcap:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet3 300x300 letter {} LaserJet3 Default 1
lp:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lp1:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE ljet3 300x300 letter {} LaserJet3 Default 1
Marketing2:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\