User profiles and policies

D.A.Clifford at DNB.RWS.minvenw.nl D.A.Clifford at DNB.RWS.minvenw.nl
Thu Aug 28 06:58:08 GMT 1997

 Toby Darling <tobyd at sco.COM> wrote:

>Luke

>I believe its a DWORD value of 1 in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon\UserProfiles

>Easier is using poledit: File->OpenRegistry then
>LocalComputer->System->EnableUserProfiles

> does anyone know what the registry entry is to get w95 to start
> reading CONFIG.POL files from the NETLOGON share?

There is confusion here between policies and user profiles. A user profile sores the users preferences (all the user related registry enries) in the users home directory. It is necessary to select user profiles on the Win95 PC, and it can be done through the policy editor,registry editor, or control panel (passwords option). We had trouble making this work - it was necesary to define both a home directory, and a drive letter to use when connecting.

Policies should be automatically enabled if there is a config.pol in the netlogon directory.

Ther is also the possibility to force the user settings and disable persistent changes with a mandatory profile.

Derek