smbd Defunct processes...

Tim Villa - faculties tim at ecel.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 28 00:10:21 GMT 1997

> From: Eric Knudstrup <eknuds at extremenetworks.com>
> Subject: smbd Defunct processes...
>
> Recently after doing a ps I noticed at least several dozens of defunct
> processes in the ps list all created by smbd.
> My guess is that these are dead connections but for some reason their
> processes didn't get cleaned up.

The "dead time" option in smb.conf should take care of this.  Ours is
set to 5 minutes which takes care of them nicely.  Active connections
that have been idle for a while and lose their smbd don't suffer because
it is spawned again when they resume network activity.

Tim
--
Tim Villa                 Faculties of Economics & Commerce, Education and Law
Network/Systems Officer        	           The University of Western Australia